Redwood City is the third largest city in the County of San Mateo, with a population of around 86,000. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, it is the base of big tech companies like Oracle, Electronic Arts, Box, Inc., GoFundMe, and Informatica. It’s also hosts significant non-tech businesses, such as Yasheng Group and DPR Construction.
Menlo Park, where Facebook is headquartered, is Redwood City’s next door neighbor, and many Menlo Park residents work in Redwood City and vice-versa.
With the excellent employment and business opportunities in the area, the city has been attracting highly-educated and skilled professionals, with around 44.3% of the population holding bachelor’s degrees or higher.
- Redwood City is the seat of San Mateo County
- The median age is 36.7
- The median household income from 2013 to 2017 was $99,026
- The city’s vibrant downtown has been described by Thrillist as, “Arguably the Peninsula’s strongest candidate for a sophisticated night out of town…”
- The Port of Redwood City is the only active deep water port within the San Francisco south bay
- The city is home to the San Mateo County History Museum
- Caltrain has a stop in downtown Redwood City; there is no BART service
- SamTrans provides bus service between the downtown area and various points in the city